Coping Strategies for Sleep Issues and Sundowning
Posted July 15, 2014The following tips are provided by the Alzheimer’s Association, the world’s leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. ©2013 Alzheimer's Association, reused with permission.People with Alzheimer's and dementia may have problems sleeping or increases in behavioral problems that begin at dusk and last into the night (known as sundowning). Use the following tips to help with sleep issues and sundowning.
- Keep the home well lit in the evening.
- Make a comfortable and safe sleep environment.
- Maintain a schedule.
- Avoid stimulants and big dinners.
- Plan more active days.
- Try to identify triggers.
- Be mindful of your own mental and physical exhaustion.
- Share your experiences with others.
Source: Alzheimer's Association
Was this article helpful?